Big Read: The Waste Land by T S Eliot – a modern masterpiece
Wed 19 October, 2022 11:00 am - 12:00 pm BSTFree – £4.00
Was T S Eliot’s poem the end of a great tradition or the start of a new era in English poetry?
Bath poet Sue Boyle will explore the idea that the apparent difficulty of The Waste Land’ can be overcome if we set Eliot’s end notes aside for a while and focus instead on his poem’s remarkable modernity.
1. Why do readers find The Waste Land difficult to understand?
2. Is the poem’s ‘difficulty’ a weakness or a strength?
3. Is The Waste Land really a statement of despair?
4. Why is April the cruellest month?
5. Is The Waste Land still relevant today?
Join us at 16 Queen Square for this discussion. Big Read is FREE to members and students, all attendees please register below.