Bath Royal Literary and Scientific Institution
The promotion advancement of science, literature and art
The original site of the Institution was Terrace Walk, by Parade Gardens. It replaced the Lower Assembly Rooms (Harrisons) which was burnt down in 1820.
Made from birch-bark with blue and red dyed porcupine quill embroidery (the blue colouration has faded), the craftsmanship of this item is superb. The person who made this container was either a Métis or First Nations aboriginal Canadian of Red River Colony, Manitoba, Canada.